1. Why is roof drain maintenance important?
Roof drains or rainwater outlets are in function mostly when it rains. The roof debris or the bird nest clogs the roof drains over a period of time. The clogged roof drains causes the flood at the roof which may lead to failure of the roof and therefore regular maintenance of the roof drains is very important.
2. How do you clean roof drains?
Following are the major steps to clean the roof drains:
- Regular inspection of the roof drains should be carried to have a check on the blockage.
- Remove any visible debris or leave around the roof drains.
- Remove the dome and use a flashlight to check if there is a blockage inside the roof drain.
- Use the plumber’s snake to clear the blockage.
- A water jet is also very useful to break and flush out the clogging into the drainage line.
- Place back the dome on its original position and fasten the screws (if applicable).
3. What is a scupper drain?
Scupper drain is also called a parapet or angular drain. It is used on the roof at the intersection of the parapet wall and the roof floor. This can be used as primary (main) drain when the slope is towards it or overflow (secondary) drain, when the slope is towards the dome type drains which are installed in the middle of the roof.
4. How do I install a sump roof drain?
- Preparation of precast or cast in-situ structural slab with opening for drain: The precast or cast in-situ structural slab is prepared on site with opening to receive the drain body at predetermined location and with pipe stubbing out of it.
- Fixing the sump body: Stubbing out pipe is cut accurately to the level required for roof drain body installation. The body with sump is fixed to the pipe with gasket or coupling as per outlet type. The vacant space between body and structural slab is filled with concrete.
- Concrete screed layer: Above the structural slab concrete screed (light form) is spread all over the roof with the desired slope towards the drain.
- Water proofing membrane installation with fixing the clamp: This is one of the most important step. The water proofing is fixed on the roof and sandwiched between the roof drain body and clamp firmly. Apply water proofing membrane per manufacturer’s instructions and clamp is bolted properly ensuring the water tightness of the membrane. Membrane must lay flat and contour the body opening. Hydro test is mandatory before installing the next layer.
- Rigid insulation layer: The rigid insulation is installed around the clamp leaving free space if gravel guard and gravels are supposed to be used. Roof insulation can be done before or after the water proofing membrane layer as per the roof design.
- Tile installation with the mortar: Mortar is used to provide the base for the tiling layer. The tiles are preferably installed starting from the center to the edge of the roof. Make sure that the tiles are sloped towards the drains for better water flow.
- Mounting the dome, gravel guard and gravels: The dome is placed on the clamp and screwed if applicable. Then the gravel guard is screwed to the clamp and gravels/pebbles are placed between the gravel guard and free space for the gravels.
“Saudi Cast” is the best roof drains manufacturer and supplier in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan, & Oman. Choose the best roof drains from “Saudi Cast” the modern iron and steel foundry; offering high-quality indoor roof drains like scupper/parapet roof drains, sump roof drains, deck roof drains, gutter/cornice roof drains, roof drain cover, siphonic roof drains, roof drain accessories etc..